1-Pet Halloween costumes are becoming more common, but before you play holiday dress-up with your pet, make sure the costume doesn’t impair the animal’s movement, hearing, sight, or ability to breathe, bark, eat, drink, or go to the bathroom.

2-You’ve probably heard that chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is toxic to dogs. But a lesser-known—and potentially fatal—toxin is a candy, gum, and baked goods sweetener called xylitol. Xylitol doesn’t hurt humans, but even tiny amounts can send your dog into seizures or cause depression or a loss of coordination. Signs of a chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst and urination, heart rhythm abnormalities, and even seizures.

3-The presence of strangers, scary outfits, and the constantly ringing doorbell and knocking on the door can make pets very nervous and more prone to running away. Keep your pet in a separate room on trick-or-treat night to reduce his or her stress. Be sure that your pet has ID tags, in case they accidentally get loose.  Halloween brings a flurry of activity with visitors constantly arriving at the door, and pets can possibly slip out unnoticed.

4-Nothing says “Happy Halloween” like an illuminated jack-o’-lantern. But since pets can easily knock over candles, opt for LED candles for safer ambiance. If your pet’s a notorious chewer, be sure to keep wires and cords from decorations out of reach.



Photo credit: http://www.dogbirthdaysandparties.com/

Subscribe to our newsletter